SuperdrySounds : Taking India to the Global Stage
SuperdrySounds is a revolutionary new platform for our home-grown artists to showcase their talent to an audience that understands their music and get a chance to do the same thing on a Global platform. Superdry has been pushing home-grown talent to achieve more and more for quite a few years now. There is a lot to discover in music and sometimes all one needs is a great curator. Things get much simpler when we have someone who brings together the best from different spectrums and introduces us to new music from around the country.
This year Superdry have partnered with Submerge and in association with Vh1 to bring together a collective of breakthrough artists who at some point in time started from the bottom and made it a long way up in the music scene. Superdry Sounds has teamed up with 12 talented artists around India who are trailblazers in every sense of the word and have a diverse genre of music ranging from hip hop, tropical house, deep house, electronica, bass, trap and metal!
These 12 artists are being given a platform to showcase their unique musical style on www.Superdry.in/SuperdrySounds. Top 3 artists will take the stage at specially curated shows across Mumbai, Delhi and Bangalore. Moreover, one of the 12 selected musicians will get a chance to perform LIVE at the prestigious Field Day festival in London. Now that is pretty impressive in our opinion!
The SuperdrySounds program will be a 3-Phase talent showcase. As a part of the first phase, the audience will have to go to superdry.in/superdrysounds and select their favourite artist from the list of 12 talented individuals finalized through a rigorous selection process amongst the upcoming musicians in India. The artists featured this year are as below.
SickFlip, the electronica project of music composer and producer, Sarvesh Shrivastava, who is heavily inspired by travel, new experiences and live instrumentation from across the world. You may have heard of his critically acclaimed audio visual showcase titled “The Ladakh Project”.
Follow SickFlip at the following links:
· Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/sickflipofficial
· Soundcloud - https://soundcloud.com/sickflip
· Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/sickflipofficial
· Twitter - https://twitter.com/sickflipper
· Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/user/SICKFLIPOfficial
· Bandcamp - sickflipofficial.bandcamp.com
Audio Units, a duo from Bangalore, with their varying styles of house music layered on to each other. Their music is edgy and futuristic, and aims to speak to the body, as well as the mind.
Follow Audio Units at the following links:
· Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AudioUnits/
· Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/audiounits
8 – Bit Culprit
8- Bit Culprit, whose intelligent underground music has been released on Qilla Records, Soupherb Records and most recently, on Laark Recordings.
Follow 8- Bit Culprit at the following links:
· Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/8BitCulprit/
· Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/8-bit-culprit
NDS, Siddharth Sharma’s solo project, is inspired by the background electronic music in video games, and is set to explore music that channels different emotions. NDS has already played alongside international acts such as Dimitri Vegas and Like Mike, Avicii, Axwell^Ingrosso, Yves, and Quintino.
Follow NDS at the following links:
· Facebook: https://bit.ly/2o8CYaS
· Instagram: https://bit.ly/2sanQQa
· SoundCloud: https://bit.ly/2saIEao
· Twitter: https://bit.ly/2HS8EP1
Shaun Moses, whose sets are characterized by atmospheric synth haze, rolling percussive hits and deep powerful bass lines. Hailing from Goa, this techno producer and DJ is often dubbed as one of India’s biggest techno exports and has performed in Barcelona, Zurrieq, Amsterdam, Regensburg, Stockholm, Vienna, Moscow and Bangkok.
Follow Shaun Moses at the following links:
· Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/ShaunMoses
· Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ShaunMosesOfficial
· Twitter: https://twitter.com/Moses_94
· Instagram: http://instagram.com/ShaunMosesOfficial
Seven & Seven
Seven & Seven, an electronic music producer and DJ from Delhi has been in the limelight ever since his 2016 self released EP ‘Stable’ caught the eye of prominent bass producers globally. His heavy trap single ‘Argus’ peaked at #41 on Beatport charts a week after its release in 2017.
Follow Seven & Seven at the following links:
· Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sevenandsevenmusic
· Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/sevenandseven
· Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/sevenandsevenmusic
· Twitter: https://twitter.com/7and7music
Nosh & SJ
Nosh & SJ are a Mumbai based collaborative act that focuses on creating a distinct sound and communicating it to the audience. After being nominated for ‘my fav awards’ in 2014-2015, the duo have become regular performers at Mumbai’s hippest clubs.
Follow Nosh & SJ at the following links:
· Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/noshnsj/
· Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/nosh-sj
Backclash, Aman Vanjani’s musical moniker, plays music which is in equal parts liberating, euphoric and chilled. The twenty one year old DJ has already performed at several venues in India and London, and is on his way to global music festivals.
Follow Backclash at the following links:
· Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/officialbackclash/
· Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/official-backclash
· Website: http://officialbackclash.com
Blurry Slur, was influenced by the legendary Max Cooper, while opening for him, to explore bass centric and experimental sounds. His music focuses on deep house and electronica. In a short span of time, he has played alongside the likes of Kevin Knapp (Hot Creations/ OFF recordings/ Dirty Bird), A Guy Called Gerald, Robosonic, Adana Twins, and Claptone & Russ Yallop.
Follow Blurry Slur at the following links:
· Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/blurryslur/
· Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lynston_qwiver_blurryslur/
Zokhuma, is known for being infectious behind the console. His alternative electronic music lies in previously unchartered territory, and criss crosses between soundscapes that you may have never come across. Well known in cult progressive metal circles in India for his earlier work as part of Goddess Gagged, Zokhuma has performed in several countries, including Croatia, Netherlands and Sri Lanka.
Follow Zokhuma at the following links:
· Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Zokhumamusic/
· Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/zokhuma/
· Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/zokhuma
· Bandcamp: https://zokhuma.bandcamp.com/
Mumbai-based Spryk, is constantly pushing the boundaries of his craft. He likes to stimulate his audience and make them move to his music. A signature blend of genres in his DJ sets have brought him to play alongside the likes of Swindle, Om Unit, Kutmah, and DJ EARL.
Follow Spryk at the following links
· Website: www.spryk.in
· Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/iamspryk
· Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/iamspryk
· Instagram: www.instagram.com/iamspryk
· Twitter: https://twitter.com/IamSpryk
· Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/SprykSound
· Mixcloud: www.mixcloud.com/spryk
· Bandcamp: iamspryk.bandcamp.com
Monophonik, one of the newer faces in the electronic music scene, stands out because of his uplifting, melodic and analog rawness. His tracks are characterized by startling progressions, exciting drums, and brooding bass lines. He believes that electronic music too can be performed live, just like any other genre, and achieves this by recreating sounds in real time using analog modular synthesizers.
Follow Monophonik at the following links:
· Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/MonophonikMusic
· Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/monophonikmusic/
· Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/MonophonikMusic/
Phase 2 of SuperdrySounds will see Festival Curator / Director Nikhil Chinapa, Electronica DJ/Producer & owner at AFE Ankytrixx, & Electronic DJ / Producer, owner at Qilla records, Kohra, along with Vh1 Supersonic programming director Ishaan Ahluwalia and Founder of RA music and festival curator of SulaFest Jehan Johar aka Janux share their thoughts on who they think should be the 3 artists selected to play the tri-city showcases. The audience at each venue in Mumbai, Delhi and Bangalore will be also be able to cast their votes for who they feel should get the golden opportunity to perform at the Field Day Festival in London.
The third and final phase of SuperdrySounds will see one of the 12 artists as selected by the audience & by the experts, fly to London and represent the Indian Music Industry at the Field Day Festival in June. This opportunity will act as a motivator for the current generation of DJ/Producers to hone their skills and present them in front of an audience.
We are really looking forward to SuperdrySounds. Stay tuned as we will be bringing you more information in the coming days.
BY Anjuna Boy
NEWS / 11 months